The Latest ABC News (Timestamp = EST*)
- Thu, 17 Apr 2014 01:02:27 +1000: Number of young people under youth justice supervision drops - Just In
There has been a drop in the number of young people under youth justice supervision but Indigenous young people are still over-represented, according to a recent report.
- Wed, 16 Apr 2014 23:38:06 +1000: Pistorius murder trial adjourned until May 5 - Just In
The judge overseeing Oscar Pistorius's murder trial has granted an adjournment until May 5, citing scheduling concerns raised on behalf of the state.
- Wed, 16 Apr 2014 21:57:48 +1000: Ukrainian soldiers surrender armoured personnel carriers - Just In
Armoured personnel carriers driven into the eastern Ukrainian city of Slaviansk under the control of Ukrainian armed forces are now believed to be in the control of pro-Russian separatists.
- Wed, 16 Apr 2014 20:22:42 +1000: Three contract dengue fever at Nauru detention centre - Just In
Australia's Immigration Minister confirms three people at the Nauru detention centre have dengue fever.
- Wed, 16 Apr 2014 19:33:45 +1000: Clean up begins at Canberra Islamic Centre after vandalism attack - Just In
The community has rallied around the Canberra Islamic Centre, as it starts the clean up after vandals trashed the centre.
- Wed, 16 Apr 2014 19:19:48 +1000: Six killed in PNG sorcery attack - Just In
Police in Papua New Guinea have detained 180 people after a witch hunt that left six people dead, including two children.
- Wed, 16 Apr 2014 19:06:58 +1000: Landholders claim secrecy over experimental coal gasification plant - Just In
Landholders say they've only recently been told about harm allegedly caused by an experimental coal gasification plant.
- Wed, 16 Apr 2014 18:36:18 +1000: Planned Canberra memorial to honour war correspondents - Just In
There is a push to build a permanent reminder of the sacrifice of war correspondents at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra.
- Wed, 16 Apr 2014 18:24:59 +1000: Xenophon wants royal commission to hear cases of HMAS Leeuwin sex abuse - Just In
Independent South Australian Senator Nick Xenophon has welcomed a push for lawyers acting for victims of sexual abuse at HMAS Leeuwin in the 1970s to have their cases considered by the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse.
- Wed, 16 Apr 2014 18:20:03 +1000: Your pics: The Royal family arrives in Sydney - Just In
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have begun their first official tour of Australia with Prince George.
- Wed, 16 Apr 2014 17:11:20 +1000: NY police disband unit that spied on Muslims - Just In
New York police say they have disbanded a controversial and heavily criticised unit that sent undercover officers to spy on local Muslims.
- Wed, 16 Apr 2014 17:10:07 +1000: Qld prisoners caught after high-speed chase - Just In
Two prisoners who escaped from a central Queensland jail at the weekend have been caught.
Murderer Tony Morgan and armed robber Bradley Kuhl had been on the run since breaking out of the Capricornia Correctional Centre on Sunday night.
Police say they were taken into custody this afternoon at Keppel Sands near Rockhampton.
- Wed, 16 Apr 2014 16:10:53 +1000: Suspicious packages addressed to Barnett, Nahan and The West - Just In
A suspicious package sent to West Australian Premier Colin Barnett's electorate office in Perth prompted a lockdown of the area on Wednesday evening.
Earlier in the day police seized packages containing a suspicious powder addressed to Treasurer Mike Nahan and The West Australian newspaper.
Concerns were raised when Australia Post staff at the Perth Airport mail centre found three packages with writing on them that was described as "threatening in nature".
Mr Nahan's office and the mail centre were evacuated, but both were later declared safe.
- Wed, 16 Apr 2014 15:58:24 +1000: Analysis: Natural gas is Vladimir Putin's weapon - Just In
For Vladimir Putin, natural gas is not just a resource, it is an economic and political weapon he is using to expand Russian interests in Ukraine.
- Wed, 16 Apr 2014 15:50:16 +1000: NRL's Greenberg announces clampdown on lifting tackles - Just In
The NRL has announced a clampdown on players being placed in dangerous positions in lifting tackles.
- Wed, 16 Apr 2014 15:48:20 +1000: NBN Co boss says apartment, office rollout accelerated to combat TPG - Just In
NBN Co has reported an operating loss of more than $1.1 billion for the nine months to March.
- Wed, 16 Apr 2014 15:46:00 +1000: Sydney man sentenced to 29 years' jail for murdering ex-lover - Just In
A Sydney judge has sentenced Paul Mulvihill to 29 years in jail for murdering his former mistress Rachelle Yeo at her Northern Beaches apartment two years ago.
- Wed, 16 Apr 2014 14:39:09 +1000: Ministerial adviser 'told program had safety problems', inquiry hears - Just In
A building company manager warned a ministerial adviser there were safety issues with the national home insulation scheme that needed urgent attention, an inquiry has heard.
- Wed, 16 Apr 2014 14:27:28 +1000: Royals arrive in Sydney for 10-day Australian tour - Just In
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were greeted by hundreds of screaming fans at the Sydney Opera House after touching down in Australia for their 10-day tour yesterday.
- Wed, 16 Apr 2014 14:25:00 +1000: TPG fined for cutting off access to emergency services - Just In
The Federal Court has fined TPG $400,000 for failing to give customers access to triple-0.
- Wed, 16 Apr 2014 13:45:55 +1000: Brothers jailed for slashing taxi driver's throat - Just In
Two brothers who slashed a taxi driver's throat and stole his cab have been jailed by an Adelaide court.
Zachary Connor Wakefield was in the back seat of the taxi when held a 25-centimetre knife to the driver's throat.
The cabbie had asked his passengers for a deposit before making a short trip from inner suburban Ashford to the city.
Jake Thomas Wakefield, 20, was in the front seat and jabbed Suleman Khalid with another knife.
- Wed, 16 Apr 2014 13:28:27 +1000: Woman stabbed to death outside Melbourne shopping centre - Just In
A manhunt is underway for a man who stabbed his de facto partner to death outside shops at Sunshine in Melbourne's west.
- Wed, 16 Apr 2014 13:13:28 +1000: Submarine fails to find any trace of flight MH370 - Just In
The Bluefin-21 submarine has been deployed on its second mission in the search for missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370, after data from its first dive failed to find any trace of the plane.
- Wed, 16 Apr 2014 13:12:25 +1000: Timeline: Why Barry O'Farrell had to go - Just In
Barry O'Farrell's dramatic fall from grace was precipitated by a $3,000 bottle of wine, a thank you note, and what the outgoing New South Wales Premier says was a "massive memory fail".
- Wed, 16 Apr 2014 13:08:30 +1000: Government outlines emergency funding available for cyclone-hit residents - Just In
State and federal MPs and Queensland's disaster recovery coordinator have outlined emergency funding available for residents of communities ravaged by Tropical Cyclone Ita in the state's north.
*EST – Eastern Standard Time
EST is used all year in Queensland, and during Winter in ACT, NSW, Tas. and Vic.