The Latest ABC News (Timestamp = EST*)
- Sat, 20 Sep 2014 23:20:32 +1000: Lambie says burka post 'honours' policewoman killed by Taliban - Just In
Palmer United Party senator Jacqui Lambie says an Afghan policewoman featured in a controversial Facebook post "would have been the first to agree" with her call to ban the burka.
The photographer who took the picture of Lt Col Malalai Kakar, which was shared online by senator Lambie in a push to ban the burka, has labelled the move appalling and insulting.
Malalai Kakar was Afghanistan's first female police officer, who the Taliban gunned down in her car in 2008.
Senator Lambie has responded to the photographer's comments and reports on the image, standing by the post.
- Sat, 20 Sep 2014 22:46:10 +1000: India court jails 13 men over gang-rape of woman - Just In
A court in India's West Bengal state has sentenced 13 people, including a village headman, to 20 years in jail for gang-raping a tribal woman as a punishment for "dishonouring" her community.
- Sat, 20 Sep 2014 22:03:00 +1000: Bulldogs edge Manly in golden point semi-final triumph - Just In
The Canterbury Bulldogs edged Manly 18-17 in a golden point win to take them through to the NRL preliminary finals.
- Sat, 20 Sep 2014 20:54:46 +1000: John Key's National Party takes out New Zealand election - Just In
New Zealand prime minister John Key has won a third term with a strong showing in Saturday's general election.
- Sat, 20 Sep 2014 19:26:24 +1000: Hawthorn into AFL grand final thanks to Power's poor kicking - Just In
Defending champions Hawthorn will face Sydney in the AFL grand final after beating Port Adelaide by three points.
- Sat, 20 Sep 2014 19:00:58 +1000: Security upped at Vatican over attack fears: report - Just In
Security has been tightened in Saint Peter's Square after intelligence services intercepted a possible plan to attack the Vatican, Italian media reported on Saturday, increasing fears Pope Francis could be in danger.
- Sat, 20 Sep 2014 17:25:09 +1000: New powers for police under proposed anti-terror law amendments - Just In
Police officers would get substantial new powers of arrest under proposed amendments to anti-terror laws.
The ABC has seen draft amendments to a range of legislation including the Criminal Code and Crimes Act.
A much anticipated package of reforms to terrorism laws is set to be introduced into Parliament early next week.
The draft amendments seen by the ABC include a significant lowering of the threshold applying to police officers when considering whether to arrest someone for terrorism offences without a warrant.
- Sat, 20 Sep 2014 17:04:21 +1000: Counting underway in New Zealand election - Just In
Polls have closed and early counting in the New Zealand election has prime minister John Key’s National Party in the lead, which could see him returned to office for a third term.
Mr Key and opposition leader David Cunliffe said they expect a close result but New Zealand's complicated proportional voting system makes it notoriously difficult to predict an outcome.
The Electoral Commission said it hopes to have all 700,000 advance votes counted within two hours, and a final tally of all votes – except those cast overseas and special votes – by the end of the night.
If pre-vote polls are accurate, Mr Key will be returned to power with support from the minor parties that already form part of his coalition government.
- Sat, 20 Sep 2014 16:36:10 +1000: James Hird must go as Bombers coach, says Shaw - Just In
Former Collingwood captain and coach Tony Shaw says Patrick Ryder's exit is the signal that James Hird has to go.
- Sat, 20 Sep 2014 16:36:10 +1000: Family of missing 3yo William Tyrell thank searchers - Just In
The family of three-year-old William Tyrell, who went missing from the New South Wales mid north coast over a week ago, have issued a letter of thanks to everyone involved in the search.
- Sat, 20 Sep 2014 16:34:18 +1000: 49 Turks kidnapped by IS militants freed: PM - Just In
Dozens of Turkish nationals held hostage by Islamic State jihadists in northern Iraq for more than three months have been released, says PM.
- Sat, 20 Sep 2014 15:55:58 +1000: Storm leaves 200,000 displaced in Philippines - Just In
Tropical storm Fung-Wong is churning towards Taiwan after killing at least five people in the Philippines.
- Sat, 20 Sep 2014 14:42:51 +1000: Arnhem Land leaders call for an end to 'poison' welfare - Just In
Powerful Indigenous figures in Arnhem Land have committed to work with the Federal Government to end the passive reliance on welfare in Aboriginal communities.
- Sat, 20 Sep 2014 14:30:00 +1000: Photos spark new outback search for teen's body - Just In
Police now have aerial photographs of remote Coober Pedy in the South Australian outback, which have prompted them to plan another search for the body of a teenager who was last seen alive in 1990.
- Sat, 20 Sep 2014 14:16:00 +1000: Man critically injured in fall at Mt Buller ski resort - Just In
A man has suffered serious head and chest injuries after falling down a mountain face at the Mt Buller ski resort in Victoria's alpine region.
- Sat, 20 Sep 2014 13:35:27 +1000: New Yorker makes sea change to Australian wine production - Just In
South Australia's wine reputation has made its key regions familiar names in restaurants and stores across the world, but has also lured some international talent to wine production.
- Sat, 20 Sep 2014 13:03:21 +1000: Australian among three killed in PNG plane crash - Just In
An Australian pilot is among three people killed in a charter plane crash in Papua New Guinea.
The Hevilift twin otter aircraft came down near the capital Port Moresby on Saturday with nine people on board.
The Australian was killed along with the co-pilot and a passenger, both of whom were PNG nationals.
The survivors, all PNG nationals, were taken to a hospital in Port Moresby.
Hevilift has issued a statement saying its "thoughts and sympathy go to the families of those who have died" and pledging to "continue to provide every assistance to the survivors".
- Sat, 20 Sep 2014 11:49:43 +1000: Counter-terrorism expert becomes target of hate mail - Just In
A Perth academic says she has become the target of hate mail after speaking out against the radicalisation of Islam.
- Sat, 20 Sep 2014 11:39:17 +1000: Alibaba share price surges on US market debut - Just In
Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba has debuted on the New York Stock Exchange, raising $US21.8 billion ($24.4 billion) in the biggest initial public offering in the United States.
Alibaba Group Holding Ltd stock closed at $US93.89, up 38 per cent from the IPO price of $US68 a share, leaving the company valued at over $US230 billion.
The start of trading was delayed because of intense demand from investors.
- Sat, 20 Sep 2014 11:17:02 +1000: Australia won't shut G20 door on Putin: Hockey - Just In
As the G20 finance ministers meeting gets underway in Cairns, Treasurer Joe Hockey has told the world's most powerful financial leaders and central bankers he will not be closing the door on Russia.
The Cairns finance summit is seen as an important test run before leaders gather for the G20 in Brisbane in November.
The Government had been considering banning Russian leader Vladimir Putin from the meeting in the wake of the deadly downing of Malaysia Airlines flight MH17.
But Mr Hockey said it was not Australia's decision to ban anyone, adding: "They are member of the G20, we expect they will attend the G20 meetings."
- Sat, 20 Sep 2014 10:53:29 +1000: Bishop backs push to defeat IS as Syrian villages seized - Just In
Foreign Affairs Minister Julie Bishop has used a United Nations meeting to reaffirm Australia's support for an international campaign against Islamic State militants.
Ms Bishop is in New York, where she will hold bilateral meetings with representatives of regional and Middle Eastern nations.
"ISIL's actions leave in no doubt, the severity of the threat to the region and the wider world," Ms Bishop told the UN Security Council in New York.
Her comments came as IS militants reportedly seized more than 60 Syrian villages near the Turkish border, forcing thousands of civilians to flee into Turkey.
- Sat, 20 Sep 2014 10:49:53 +1000: Russian fighter jets intercepted near Alaska - Just In
US and Canadian warplanes were scrambled to intercept Russian fighter jets that strayed into airspace over Alaska.
- Sat, 20 Sep 2014 10:45:11 +1000: MH17 victim farewelled in Sydney service - Just In
Hundreds of mourners have gathered in Sydney's south-west for the funeral of MH17 victim Victor Oreshkin to remember him as a man of devout Christian faith.
- Sat, 20 Sep 2014 10:26:08 +1000: Sarkozy announces his return to politics on Facebook - Just In
Former French president Nicolas Sarkozy has announced his return to politics, revealing on his Facebook page that he will seek the leadership of the opposition Union for a Popular Movement (UMP) in a move that would position him for a 2017 presidential bid.
- Sat, 20 Sep 2014 10:21:07 +1000: Little penguins under threat from marina proposal - Just In
The proposed Mangles Bay marina development, south of Perth, could further erode the little penguins' habitats, an expert says.
*EST – Eastern Standard Time
EST is used all year in Queensland, and during Winter in ACT, NSW, Tas. and Vic.