The Latest ABC News (Timestamp = EST*)
- Wed, 03 Sep 2014 06:18:07 +1000: Scotland Yard put up for sale - Just In
A piece of criminal history can be yours for $433 million - London's world-famous Scotland Yard police force has put its headquarters up for sale.
- Wed, 03 Sep 2014 05:51:38 +1000: Joan Rivers remains on life support - Just In
Comedian Joan Rivers remains on life support after being hospitalised in a serious condition due to cardiac arrest.
- Wed, 03 Sep 2014 05:44:20 +1000: Impressive Boomers down Lithuania - Just In
Australia could still top its group at the basketball World Cup after beating world number four Lithuania.
- Wed, 03 Sep 2014 05:36:12 +1000: Marsh's virtuoso display sees Aussies into final - Just In
Mitchell Marsh's sparkled as Australia beat South Africa by 62 runs to secure passage to the tri-series final in Harare.
- Wed, 03 Sep 2014 03:31:00 +1000: Second captured US journalist 'beheaded by Islamic State' - Just In
The Islamic State has released a video purporting to show a masked militant beheading captured American journalist Steven Sotloff, and threatening to kill a British hostage.
Sotloff's purported executioner, who speaks in a British accent similar to that of James Foley's killer, blames the ongoing US strikes against IS for the murder.
"I'm back, Obama, and I'm back because of your arrogant foreign policy towards the Islamic State," the militant said.
The US is working to verify the video and says it is "sickened" if the footage is authentic.
- Wed, 03 Sep 2014 00:05:09 +1000: Abbott expected to sign uranium deal during India visit - Just In
Prime Minister Tony Abbott will travel to India later today, where he is expected to sign a deal on uranium exports.
- Tue, 02 Sep 2014 23:55:28 +1000: Dethroned Myanmar beauty queen denies tiara theft - Just In
A Myanmar beauty queen dethroned for alleged misconduct says she will only return her crown if South Korean pageant organisers apologise.
- Tue, 02 Sep 2014 22:57:07 +1000: Australia delivers ammunition to forces battling IS fighters - Just In
Australian air force planes have delivered ammunition to outgunned Kurdish Peshmerga forces battling Islamic State (IS) fighters in northern Iraq.
In statement on Tuesday night, the Defence Department confirmed a RAAF C-17A Globemaster carried military stores of ammunition to the Kurdish capital of Erbil from Dubai.
It comes as rights group Amnesty International says it has proof IS militants have launched a campaign of ethnic cleansing against minorities in northern Iraq.
- Tue, 02 Sep 2014 21:41:37 +1000: Tas repeals forestry peace deal, allowing future logging - Just In
Tasmania's Parliament has passed the State Government's signature bill to repeal the forestry peace deal.
The bill passed a vote in the Lower House, after being passed with amendments by the independent-dominated Upper House last week.
After four years of negotiations and countless hours of debate in Parliament to form the peace deal under the former Labor-Green government, it is now a thing of the past.
The deal added an extra half a million hectares of native forest to the state's existing reserves of 1 million hectares.
- Tue, 02 Sep 2014 20:47:57 +1000: Ebola threatens food security in West Africa: UN - Just In
Labour shortages and disrupted cross-border trade caused by the deadly Ebola outbreak have sparked "grave food security concerns" in West Africa, the United Nations says.
- Tue, 02 Sep 2014 20:22:12 +1000: Tiger rescued from Indonesian 'death zoo' dies - Just In
An emaciated Sumatran tiger, whose plight highlighted horrific conditions at an Indonesian zoo, has died a year after being rescued from the centre where hundreds of animals have perished.
- Tue, 02 Sep 2014 19:10:36 +1000: Concerns over 'trolley blocking' at emergency wards - Just In
The NSW Health Minister has ordered an investigation after the parents of a child who had stopped breathing were told there was no ambulance free to help them.
- Tue, 02 Sep 2014 19:06:37 +1000: Cash, experience a lure for Fiji's UN peacekeepers - Just In
Fiji's military says Islamist militants have made a number of demands for the safe release of 45 Fijian soldiers being held in the Golan Heights.
- Tue, 02 Sep 2014 18:20:02 +1000: SA to seek more Murray River flow to tackle salinity - Just In
South Australia wants the upstream Murray River states to release more water to support a salinity mitigation effort in Lake Albert, near the Murray's mouth.
- Tue, 02 Sep 2014 18:07:19 +1000: Energy and bank shares rise after RBA decision - Just In
The Australian share market has rallied after the Reserve Bank announced it would keep interest rates at a record low of 2.5 per cent.
- Tue, 02 Sep 2014 17:43:12 +1000: Convicted rapist Robert Fardon arrested in Brisbane - Just In
Convicted rapist Robert John Fardon has been arrested in Brisbane over an alleged breach of the conditions of a supervision order.
- Tue, 02 Sep 2014 17:37:33 +1000: Coles to cut 600 jobs at Melbourne HQ: reports - Just In
Supermarket giant Coles is reportedly cutting 600 jobs in the payment, accounts and IT departments at the company's Melbourne headquarters.
- Tue, 02 Sep 2014 17:00:22 +1000: Former Qld detective investigated over alleged fraud - Just In
A former Queensland detective is at the centre of a major investigation into alleged money laundering and bikie links.
Crime and Corruption Commission investigators are probing Michael Featherstone's links to senior serving and former police officers on the Gold Coast and elsewhere, and his possible links to bikie gangs.
The CCC is also looking into his role in cold-calling companies alleged to have defrauded hundreds of people across Australia in scams worth millions of dollars.
- Tue, 02 Sep 2014 16:52:50 +1000: WA politicians told not to pursue bigger GST share - Just In
West Australian MPs have been warned during a federal party room meeting against making a formal submission for the state to get a bigger share of GST revenue.
- Tue, 02 Sep 2014 16:34:25 +1000: Shaw apologises to Vic Parliament as suspension ends - Just In
Victoria's controversial balance-of-power independent MP Geoff Shaw has apologised to Parliament, after being suspended for 11 sitting days for misusing his parliamentary entitlements.
- Tue, 02 Sep 2014 16:17:37 +1000: Demons' coach apologises over Rolf Harris photo - Just In
Demons coach Paul Roos has apologised on behalf of the club after two players dressed up as disgraced entertainer Rolf Harris and a young girl for post-season celebrations.
- Tue, 02 Sep 2014 16:16:00 +1000: Prime Minister announces foreign fighters taskforce for ACC - Just In
Prime Minister Tony Abbott has announced the formation of a foreign fighters taskforce within the Australian Crime Commission.
- Tue, 02 Sep 2014 15:53:49 +1000: Extension for child sexual abuse royal commission - Just In
The Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse will be granted a two-year extension to complete its work, Federal Attorney-General George Brandis says.
- Tue, 02 Sep 2014 15:53:49 +1000: Bishop to discuss Putin G20 ban at NATO summit - Just In
Foreign Minister Julie Bishop is set to take steps towards banning Russian president Vladimir Putin from the G20 leaders summit in Brisbane later this year.
- Tue, 02 Sep 2014 15:37:20 +1000: Pakistan considers 'selective' crackdown against protesters - Just In
Pakistan's defence minister has raised the prospect of a crackdown on anti-government protesters, warning demonstrators against storming state buildings.
*EST – Eastern Standard Time
EST is used all year in Queensland, and during Winter in ACT, NSW, Tas. and Vic.