The Latest ABC News (Timestamp = EST*)
- Fri, 01 Aug 2014 23:02:55 +1000: Mitcham and Nel take synchro diving silver for Australia - Just In
Australia's Matthew Mitcham and Grant Nel have taken silver in the men's 3m synchro diving event on day nine.
- Fri, 01 Aug 2014 22:32:37 +1000: Swans beat Bombers by 22 points at SCG - Just In
Sydney has beaten Essendon by 22 points at the SCG despite the late withdrawal of star forward Lance Franklin.
- Fri, 01 Aug 2014 21:22:46 +1000: Thieves hack charity website, steal credit card details - Just In
Up to 12,000 people donating to charities through an Australian website have had their credit card details stolen and used for thousands of dollars worth of fraudulent charges.
- Fri, 01 Aug 2014 21:22:46 +1000: 'Power plays' behind PNG's sorcery-related violence: expert - Just In
Young men in PNG are using sorcery-related violence to gain status and power, says expert.
- Fri, 01 Aug 2014 21:04:13 +1000: Mr Fluffy-style asbestos may be in Sydney homes - Just In
Some Sydney homes may have also been insulated with the same dangerous form of asbestos that was pumped into the so-called Mr Fluffy homes in Canberra.
Evidence, contained in a newly-unearthed government report, suggests that for years, another company might have been using similar methods in Sydney homes.
- Fri, 01 Aug 2014 20:23:59 +1000: Rolf Harris to appeal against conviction - Just In
Rolf Harris has applied for permission to appeal against his conviction for indecent assaults against four girls.
- Fri, 01 Aug 2014 20:02:11 +1000: 'Why does he have to be abandoned?': Australian parents desert Thai surrogate mother - Just In
The Thai surrogate mother of a Down Syndrome baby who was abandoned by his Australian parents says she has been left to provide for the child who also suffers from a life-threatening heart condition.
In an exclusive interview with the ABC's Samantha Hawley, Gammy's mother Pattaramon Chanbua described how she loves the baby boy as if he was her own, but cannot afford the medical treatment he needs.
The 21-year-old impoverished mother fell pregnant with twins but the Australian parents abandoned Gammy and only took his healthy sister home with them.
"Why does he have to be abandoned while the other baby has it easy? ... I feel sorry for him. I don't know what to do," she told the ABC.
- Fri, 01 Aug 2014 19:40:06 +1000: Medicinal cannabis trial gets green light on Norfolk Island - Just In
The Tasmanian company that applied to trial medicinal cannabis in the state has been given the go-ahead elsewhere.
Norfolk Island has given Tasman Health Cannabinoids (THC) approval to grow medical cannabis.
"We are open for investment, we are open for business on Norfolk Island," the island's Health Minister Robin Adams said.
THC had wanted to conduct its trial in Tasmania, with the view to it becoming a multi-billion-dollar export industry.
The Tasmanian Government knocked them back and Mr Adams said Norfolk Island leapt at the chance.
- Fri, 01 Aug 2014 19:04:37 +1000: Sudanese woman sentenced to die for apostasy arrives in US - Just In
A Sudanese Christian woman who had been facing death threats after her apostasy death sentence was overturned has arrived in the United States with her family.
- Fri, 01 Aug 2014 18:53:36 +1000: Local shares drop as investors react to worldwide losses - Just In
The Australian share market has ended the week with a sharp fall, as investors reacted to significant losses around the world.
- Fri, 01 Aug 2014 18:37:50 +1000: Fighting escalates near MH17 crash site, 14 dead - Just In
Fourteen people have been killed, including at least 10 government soldiers, in fighting overnight close to the crash site of downed Malaysia Airlines flight MH17, a Ukrainian military spokesman says.
The escalating violence comes as the full Australian and Dutch reconnaissance team reached the crash site after four days of failed attempts to make it across a battlefront to the wreckage.
- Fri, 01 Aug 2014 18:19:45 +1000: Gaza ceasefire crumbles as Israel, Hamas resume fighting - Just In
Israel has declared a Gaza ceasefire over and killed more than 50 Palestinians in renewed shelling, saying militants breached the truce shortly after it began and apparently captured an Israeli soldier.
- Fri, 01 Aug 2014 17:28:46 +1000: Asylum seekers could have been threat: Government - Just In
The Federal Government says the 157 asylum seekers at the centre of a High Court fight could have posed a security threat if they were told where they were going.
- Fri, 01 Aug 2014 17:10:42 +1000: Doctors 'alarmed' by asylum seeker health 'cover-up' - Just In
Australia's peak medical bodies are alarmed by evidence that doctors are being forced to compromise clinical and ethical standards and put their patients' health at risk as they struggle to deliver basic care to traumatised children.
The doctors' groups have slammed a reported Immigration Department cover up of data showing the extent of mental health concerns among young detainees, saying the issue is being ignored because it is out of the public eye.
"If we were seeing this on mainland Australia, in our community, it would be absolutely not accepted - questions would be asked immediately, social services would be involved, litigation would be involved," Royal Australian College of General Practitioners chair of refugee heath Dr Christine Boyce said.
- Fri, 01 Aug 2014 16:29:21 +1000: Quadriplegic surfer takes on the big waves - Just In
Quadriplegic Paul D'Vorak does not let his injuries stop him from surfing big waves in WA's South West.
- Fri, 01 Aug 2014 15:36:21 +1000: 'Hacking' North Korea to promote press freedom - Just In
A New York-based human rights group will host a 'hackathon' to attempt to get information into ultra-secretive North Korea.
- Fri, 01 Aug 2014 15:08:56 +1000: Man refused bail over 1973 Albury teenager rape and murder - Just In
A man charged with the 1973 abduction, rape and murder of a teenage girl in Albury, in southern New South Wales, has been refused bail in a Sydney court.
Bronwynne Richardson, 17, was dragged into a car on a CBD street in October 1973.
- Fri, 01 Aug 2014 14:57:15 +1000: New terrorism measures to reverse onus of proof: reports - Just In
Speculation is growing the Abbott Government is considering tough new measures to reverse the onus of proof on Australians returning from foreign war zones.
- Fri, 01 Aug 2014 14:33:10 +1000: Surgical device that can spread cancer recalled - Just In
A surgical device that can spread cancer in women having fibroid surgery or hysterectomies is being recalled by the manufacturer.
- Fri, 01 Aug 2014 13:51:52 +1000: Shed, vehicles lost in western Sydney fire - Just In
Almost 100 firefighters have saved several factories from a blaze in western Sydney, but a shed and several shipping containers, trucks and cars have been destroyed.
- Fri, 01 Aug 2014 13:36:31 +1000: High-tech tools can turn carbon dioxide to oxygen: NASA - Just In
NASA has announced a suite of space-age tools that will be loaded onto its next robotic vehicle bound for Mars in 2020, technology it believes will allow for unprecedented exploration of the Red Planet.
- Fri, 01 Aug 2014 13:02:30 +1000: Man fronts court over hospital patient's guitar death - Just In
A hospital patient accused of using an electric guitar to kill another patient at a Shellharbour Hospital has appeared in court.
- Fri, 01 Aug 2014 12:24:57 +1000: Judges snub public ceremony for Qld's new Chief Justice - Just In
A welcoming ceremony has been held for Queensland's new Chief Justice Tim Carmody, but no other Supreme Court judges attended.
Justice Carmody was sworn in at a private ceremony earlier this month but his appointment had been plagued by sustained criticism from the judiciary and legal fraternity.
Today's public ceremony in the Banco Court in Brisbane marked the arrival of both him and new Supreme Court Justice Peter Flanagan.
But Justice Carmody and Justice Flanagan cut lonely figures on the bench today as the other 25 Supreme Court judges did not attend, in what many consider was a major snub to the new Chief Justice.
- Fri, 01 Aug 2014 12:21:14 +1000: Australian shares post steep fall in response to US stock slide - Just In
The Australian share market has fallen sharply as investors react to worse losses in the US and across much of Europe.
- Fri, 01 Aug 2014 12:18:43 +1000: Top End residents brace for noise as Pitch Black takes off - Just In
Darwin and Katherine residents are bracing for the noise of the world's air forces flying overhead as the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) commences its largest and most complex exercise, Pitch Black.
Up to 110 aircraft from the air forces of the United States, New Zealand, Thailand, Singapore and the United Arab Emirates will fly in the skies between Darwin and Katherine for the 22-day biennial exercise which officially started today.
The event takes place every two years and typically draws complaints from some residents who say the jets are too loud.
*EST – Eastern Standard Time
EST is used all year in Queensland, and during Winter in ACT, NSW, Tas. and Vic.