The Latest ABC News (Timestamp = EST*)
- Sat, 20 Dec 2014 10:08:41 +1000: Cairns memorial grows as community grieves for eight lives lost - Just In
Cairns residents continue to leave dozens of flowers and gifts at a makeshift shrine outside a home where eight children were found dead.
- Sat, 20 Dec 2014 09:33:25 +1000: Live blog: Australia v India Second Test, day four - Just In
India will resume at 1 for 71 on day four of the second Test against Australia at the Gabba.
- Sat, 20 Dec 2014 09:25:02 +1000: Herring limit reduced and WA fishery closed - Just In
The closure of a herring fishery off Western Australia's south coast is labelled "draconian" by the state's peak commercial fishing body.
- Sat, 20 Dec 2014 09:14:14 +1000: Adelaide man struck by machete during home attack - Just In
Three men armed with a machete attack an Adelaide man in his home, leaving him with serious but non-life threatening injuries.
- Sat, 20 Dec 2014 09:12:39 +1000: Medina wins Brazil's first world surfing title - Just In
Gabriel Medina has won Brazil's first world surfing title after rival Mick Fanning failed to make the Pipe Masters quarter finals in Hawaii.
- Sat, 20 Dec 2014 09:09:50 +1000: Container deposit scheme rejected in Tas after report estimates $4m cost - Just In
The Tasmanian Government rules out introducing a container deposit scheme for recycled drink cans and bottles after a report finds it would cost $4 million a year.
- Sat, 20 Dec 2014 09:08:33 +1000: Phelps given suspended sentence and probation for drink driving - Just In
US swimming star Michael Phelps, the most decorated Olympian of all time, avoids jail and is placed on probation after pleading guilty to drink driving.
- Sat, 20 Dec 2014 09:00:50 +1000: Serial fans in Melbourne share finale in podcasting event - Just In
Fans of the hugely popular podcast Serial get together to listen to the final episode over breakfast at a Fitzroy cafe.
- Sat, 20 Dec 2014 08:52:43 +1000: Support service for road crash victims and relatives - Just In
The festive season can be more difficult for those who have lost a loved one in a road accident.
- Sat, 20 Dec 2014 08:48:43 +1000: Barack Obama eyes Congress to help with his plan to normalise relations with Cuba - Just In
President Barack Obama hopes to overcome a Congress hurdle that could derail his plan to normalise relations with Cuba.
- Sat, 20 Dec 2014 08:41:37 +1000: South Africa closes in on victory over West Indies as Philander takes five wickets - Just In
Vernon Philander took five wickets as South Africa closed in on victory having reduced West Indies to 2 for 76 in Pretoria.
- Sat, 20 Dec 2014 08:41:37 +1000: Jetstar flights delayed due to computer problems - Just In
Jetstar flights have been delayed on one of the busiest travel days of the year due to a computer problem. Passengers are experiencing delays of up to two hours in some parts of the country.
- Sat, 20 Dec 2014 08:06:46 +1000: Paramedics reach pay deal with Vic Government after years of dispute - Just In
Victorian ambulance workers have reached an agreement with the State Government over a long-running pay dispute.
- Sat, 20 Dec 2014 07:59:14 +1000: Turkey court releases anti-Erdogan editor, arrests TV chief - Just In
A Turkish court orders the release of an anti-government newspaper editor but remands the head of a national television network in custody, accused of plotting to overthrow president Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
- Sat, 20 Dec 2014 07:59:14 +1000: Hoddle Street killer loses bid to cross-examine senior military officer - Just In
The Hoddle Street killer, Julian Knight, has lost a bid to cross examine a senior military officer as part of an application for damages from the Commonwealth over his treatment at Duntroon.
- Sat, 20 Dec 2014 07:59:14 +1000: Pressure on Aussie bowlers on day four at the Gabba - Just In
Australian captain Steve Smith says his bowlers need quick Indian wickets on day four of the second Test at the Gabba.
- Sat, 20 Dec 2014 07:14:03 +1000: England set to replace Cook with Morgan as World Cup cricket captain - Just In
Alastair Cook has been dropped as England captain for next year's one-day World Cup according to British media reports.
- Sat, 20 Dec 2014 07:09:21 +1000: Mother arrested for murder after children found dead in Cairns - Just In
The 37-year-old mother of the children found dead in a Cairns home yesterday has been arrested for murder. Police say the mother is awake and under police guard in hospital.
- Sat, 20 Dec 2014 06:39:33 +1000: FIFA publishing full report into corruption allegations - Just In
Soccer's governing body FIFA has announced it will publish the full report of an investigation into allegations of corruption over Russia and Qatar's world cup bids.
- Sat, 20 Dec 2014 06:12:26 +1000: Pakistan hangs two convicted militants following school attack - Just In
Pakistan hangs two convicted militants in the first executions since 2008 following a brutal terror attack on a Peshawar school which left 149 people, mostly children, dead.
- Sat, 20 Dec 2014 05:36:24 +1000: Obama says Sony made 'mistake' cancelling The Interview, FBI blames North Korea for cyberattack - Just In
North Korea is responsible for a "destructive" cyberattack on Sony Pictures, the US Federal Bureau of Investigation says, warning it will hunt down the perpetrators and make them pay.
- Sat, 20 Dec 2014 05:25:43 +1000: Fears foreign aid cuts will hurt the world's most vulnerable women - Just In
Foreign aid cuts spark fears Australia will return to "truck and chuck" operations to the detriment of women who live in some of the world's worst hotspots for physical and sexual abuse.
- Sat, 20 Dec 2014 00:24:30 +1000: Ban Ki-moon begins tour of Ebola-hit West Africa - Just In
UN chief Ban Ki-moon arrives in Liberia on the first stop of a visit to Ebola-ravaged West African countries for a first-hand assessment of global efforts to fight the epidemic.
- Fri, 19 Dec 2014 23:42:52 +1000: Pakistan army says 59 militants killed in clashes - Just In
The Pakistani army says it has killed 59 militants in clashes in the north-west in intensified fighting since this week's Taliban massacre of children at a school.
- Fri, 19 Dec 2014 22:47:57 +1000: Hollywood slams Sony over shelving of The Interview - Just In
Hollywood filmmakers and actors voice outrage after Sony Pictures pulls the release of North Korea parody The Interview, following threats from hackers.
*EST – Eastern Standard Time
EST is used all year in Queensland, and during Winter in ACT, NSW, Tas. and Vic.