The Latest ABC News (Timestamp = EST*)
- Fri, 25 Apr 2014 17:20:33 +1000: Hijacked Virgin plane forced to land at Bali airport - Just In
Bali's police chief has told local media in Indonesia that a Virgin flight from Brisbane has been hijacked.
- Fri, 25 Apr 2014 17:06:28 +1000: Women in uniform: remembering those who paved the way - Just In
WWII veteran Jean Nysen reflects on life in the Australian Navy, then and now.
- Fri, 25 Apr 2014 16:47:39 +1000: Malaysia to release preliminary report on MH370 disappearance - Just In
Malaysia will release a preliminary report next week on the disappearance of flight MH370, Prime Minister Najib Razak says, as his government battles criticism over the transparency of its investigation.
- Fri, 25 Apr 2014 16:44:48 +1000: Obama arrives in Seoul amid N Korea nuclear fears - Just In
The US President Barack Obama has arrived in South Korea amid growing fears that North Korea is preparing a nuclear test.
- Fri, 25 Apr 2014 16:14:37 +1000: One son's quest to track down his father's POW mate - Just In
Anzac Day is a time for remembering. But what does the family of a veteran remember if the soldier doesn't talk?
- Fri, 25 Apr 2014 15:14:27 +1000: Royal couple and Prince George depart Australia - Just In
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge depart Australia for the UK after attending Anzac Day commemorations.
- Fri, 25 Apr 2014 14:36:19 +1000: Australian Navy seizes $290 million of heroin - Just In
Australian Navy sailors patrolling the coast of Africa have seized more than 1 tonne of heroin on a suspicious sailing boat.
- Fri, 25 Apr 2014 14:17:33 +1000: Improving Alex McKinnon speaks about spinal injury - Just In
Newcastle Knights forward Alex McKinnon says he is continuing to improve when speaking for the first time since suffering a spinal injury four weeks ago.
- Fri, 25 Apr 2014 14:13:06 +1000: Pride and colour on display at Turkey's unique Gallipoli commemorations - Just In
For the Turks, remembering Anzac Day is an entirely different affair to the services across Australia.
- Fri, 25 Apr 2014 14:07:58 +1000: Five men wanted for sex attack on woman at Lismore - Just In
Five men wanted for sex attack on woman at Lismore sports field.
- Fri, 25 Apr 2014 14:06:43 +1000: Blow darts and broken bones: four WWII veterans remember - Just In
"As year follows year, more old men disappear," sang Eric Bogle in his anti-war classic The Band Played Waltzing Matilda. "Someday no-one will march there at all."
Bogle's song was written about World War I, but its message has now started to apply to World War II.
Many WWII veterans are now well into their 90s and there's a danger their stories could go unrecorded.
ABC producer Lincoln Tyner spoke to four veterans who each performed remarkable deeds.
- Fri, 25 Apr 2014 13:58:25 +1000: Lost Andy Warhol works discovered on floppy disks - Just In
Previously unknown digital works by pop artist Andy Warhol have been resurrected from ageing floppy disks.
- Fri, 25 Apr 2014 13:33:04 +1000: Pope John Paul II crucifix crushes man to death in Italy - Just In
An Italian man has been crushed to death by a giant crucifix honouring John Paul II that collapsed during a ceremony ahead of the late pope's canonisation.
- Fri, 25 Apr 2014 13:18:01 +1000: Sergeant faces fine for using mobile phone while driving - Just In
A WA police officer is facing a fine after being photographed using his mobile phone while driving.
- Fri, 25 Apr 2014 13:03:39 +1000: New programs bring hope for World Malaria Day - Just In
Malaria remains one of the world's biggest health challenges, but a new pilot scheme in Myanmar is hoping to turn the tide by promoting positive knowledge, attitudes and behaviour.
- Fri, 25 Apr 2014 12:59:22 +1000: Woman woken by intruder with hands around her throat - Just In
An intruder is thought to have broken into the homes of two women and a teenage girl who were woken by a man grabbing or touching them.
- Fri, 25 Apr 2014 12:14:45 +1000: High-tech projections illuminate Anzac legend - Just In
New projection technology was used to bring the Anzac legend to spectacular life across Australia this morning.
- Fri, 25 Apr 2014 11:46:24 +1000: Man arrested during Brisbane's Anzac Day parade - Just In
A 46-year-old man will face court tomorrow for wielding a knife at Brisbane's Anzac Day march.
- Fri, 25 Apr 2014 11:35:51 +1000: Royal commission finds authorities failed to stop paedophile offending - Just In
The royal commission has found the paedophile at the centre of its first case study continued to offend amid failings by Scouts Australia, New South Wales Police and welfare officials.
- Fri, 25 Apr 2014 11:06:06 +1000: ATSB probes 'loss of separation' between passenger jets - Just In
The Australian Transport Safety Bureau is investigating a loss of separation between two passenger jets flying over the Northern Territory yesterday.
- Fri, 25 Apr 2014 11:01:17 +1000: Rain fails to dampen Anzac spirit at Sydney march - Just In
Rain in Sydney has failed to deter returned soldiers and crowds from enjoying the annual Anzac Day march.
- Fri, 25 Apr 2014 09:33:55 +1000: Royal couple lay wreath at Australian War Memorial - Just In
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have commemorated Australia's war dead and celebrated its servicemen and women as part of the national Anzac Day service.
The pair are among tens of thousands who have attended services and marches around the country today to pay tribute to those who fought and died in war.
- Fri, 25 Apr 2014 08:57:49 +1000: X-Men director calls sex abuse claims a 'sick, twisted shakedown' - Just In
The director of the forthcoming X-Men film has called claims that he sexually abused a teen more than a decade ago a "sick, twisted shakedown".
- Fri, 25 Apr 2014 08:34:23 +1000: Tinkler called before fresh inquiry into political donations - Just In
Former Newcastle-based mining magnate Nathan Tinkler is on the witness list for a new Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC) inquiry into political donations.
- Fri, 25 Apr 2014 07:51:25 +1000: 85yo to be charged over strata meeting shooting - Just In
An 85-year-old man will be charged at a bedside hearing after allegedly shooting a man in the neck at a strata meeting in Sydney's south-west last night.
*EST – Eastern Standard Time
EST is used all year in Queensland, and during Winter in ACT, NSW, Tas. and Vic.