The Latest ABC News (Timestamp = EST*)
- Fri, 25 Jul 2014 15:38:19 +1000: Modern athletes' village comes at a cost to Glaswegians - Just In
The slick and modern athletes' village in Glasgow has come at a cost for residents of the Dalmarnock community.
- Fri, 25 Jul 2014 15:27:48 +1000: Sydney nun, Illawarra teachers remembered at MH17 services - Just In
A Catholic nun and a couple who taught disabled and special needs students, all of who were on board Malaysia Airlines flight MH17, have been eulogised at separate memorials.
- Fri, 25 Jul 2014 15:17:57 +1000: Jonathan Moylan avoids jail over fake press release - Just In
An environmental campaigner who distributed a fake press release that caused a coal company's share price to crash has avoided jail.
- Fri, 25 Jul 2014 14:52:15 +1000: Man deleted work files to prove he was needed, SA court told - Just In
A court has heard a man deleted computer files in an effort to make his former workplace value him and want him back.
The Adelaide District Court was told information technology worker Aaron Powell, 40, deleted work data over several months.
Powell pleaded guilty to unlawfully accessing a computer system and to two counts of unlawfully modifying data.
- Fri, 25 Jul 2014 14:52:15 +1000: Battling stigma against HIV AIDS in China - Just In
An NGO in a Chinese coastal city braves a public backlash to allow a space for HIV testing.
- Fri, 25 Jul 2014 14:52:15 +1000: Euthanasia forum 'coached young man to his death' - Just In
An online forum run by euthanasia group Exit International coached a young Melbourne man to his death, his mother has claimed.
- Fri, 25 Jul 2014 14:41:09 +1000: Ex-Woolies executive appointed to major role at US retail giant - Just In
Former Woolworths executive Greg Foran, father of NRL star Kieran, has landed the second top job at Walmart.
- Fri, 25 Jul 2014 14:03:58 +1000: Asylum seekers held on Customs ship to be moved onshore - Just In
A group of 157 Sri Lankan asylum seekers detained on a Customs ship for almost a month is being transferred to the Australian mainland.
The ABC understands the group of men, women and children is being taken to the Cocos Islands, and from there will be flown to the Curtin detention centre in WA.
Immigration Minister Scott Morrison, who has just returned from India, says any of the asylum seekers found to be Indian citizens or residents will likely be returned to India.
Asked of the fate of asylum seekers who do not fall into that group, Mr Morrison said the matter is "yet to be determined".
"They won't remain in Australia. They will not be resettled in Australia," he said.
- Fri, 25 Jul 2014 13:54:51 +1000: ADF bishop to deny child sexual offences, court told - Just In
The Bishop of the Australian Defence Force is to plead not guilty to child sex offences dating back 45 years, a Perth court has been told.
- Fri, 25 Jul 2014 13:23:37 +1000: Informer feared he was at 'considerable risk of being murdered' - Just In
Slain police informer Terence Hodson believed "he was at considerable risk of being murdered", a Victorian inquest has been told.
- Fri, 25 Jul 2014 13:03:46 +1000: Alleged dog baiter in court over poisoned meatballs - Just In
A man has appeared in court accused of trying to harm a dog by lacing meatballs with poison and throwing them into a backyard.
- Fri, 25 Jul 2014 12:56:16 +1000: Extradition delayed for alleged war criminal in Melbourne - Just In
The Croatian government will not request the extradition of alleged war criminal Predrag Japranin until a final decision is made in the case of his fellow Serb, 'Captain' Dragan Vasiljkovic.
- Fri, 25 Jul 2014 12:00:03 +1000: IMF cuts global growth forecasts on China, US downgrades - Just In
The International Monetary Fund has cut its global economic growth forecast for 2014 because of weakness in the world's two biggest economies.
The IMF says the global economy will grow by 3.4 per cent this year, down from its April forecast of 3.7 per cent.
The revision reflects a weak first quarter in the US which makes up almost a quarter of global GDP.
The IMF's forecast for China has also been lowered to 7.4 per cent from 7.6 per cent, with problems in the country's housing market noted.
- Fri, 25 Jul 2014 11:04:49 +1000: Study finds shocking workplace discrimination against pregnant women - Just In
Workplace discrimination against women is widespread - both before and after they have children, according to a landmark report, released today.
- Fri, 25 Jul 2014 10:59:14 +1000: Australian War Memorial WWI centenary exhibition launched - Just In
The Australian War Memorial has launched its first travelling exhibition to mark the centenary of World War I.
A Camera on Gallipoli includes a series of 39 photographs taken by Sir Charles Ryan, during his time as a medic on the Gallipoli peninsula.
- Fri, 25 Jul 2014 10:12:15 +1000: Turnbull denies he double-crossed Hockey in spill - Just In
Federal Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull has rejected assertions he told Joe Hockey he would not contest a ballot for the party's leadership in 2009.
- Fri, 25 Jul 2014 10:10:11 +1000: Peter Greste to appeal against Egypt imprisonment - Just In
Peter Greste and Baher Mohammed will lodge an appeal following their imprisonment in Egypt last month.
- Fri, 25 Jul 2014 10:07:33 +1000: Ukraine prime minister quits, new election to be called - Just In
Ukraine's prime minister Arseny Yatseniuk has quit, berating parliament for failing to pass legislation to take control over an increasingly precarious energy situation and to increase funds for the army.
- Fri, 25 Jul 2014 09:56:26 +1000: Rare daisy find leads to wetlands rescue effort - Just In
Ecologists hope to ensure the survival of a small, highly endangered daisy by reintroducing it to a wetlands area of eastern South Australia.
- Fri, 25 Jul 2014 09:48:50 +1000: APRA chairman eyes big four banks' mortgage war - Just In
The new chairman of Australia's financial regulator is keeping a watchful eye on intense mortgage competition.
Australian Prudential Regulation Authority chairman Wayne Byres is three weeks into the job, but he is already flat out keeping an eye on the big four banks and their mortgage lending battles.
With the major banks now engaged in a mortgage rate cutting war on longer-term fixed loans, Mr Byres has warned that APRA is "watching very closely" to ensure lending standards are maintained.
- Fri, 25 Jul 2014 09:06:45 +1000: Inside Lockheed Martin's highly secretive F-35 factory - Just In
Australia's first F-35 Joint Strike Fighter rolled off the production line in Texas this week and ABC North America correspondent Lisa Millar has seen it.
- Fri, 25 Jul 2014 08:31:29 +1000: Son of MH17 victims makes impassioned plea for peace - Just In
The son of a Queensland couple killed when MH17 was shot down says justice will only come when peace is found.
Paul Guard, whose parents Roger and Jill Guard were on the doomed flight, told ABC News Breakfast the only way to find justice for the victims was for both sides involved in the conflict to put their weapons down.
- Fri, 25 Jul 2014 08:23:19 +1000: Carer facing child sex abuse charges 'previously investigated' - Just In
South Australia's Premier Jay Weatherill says he cannot confirm a Families SA carer who is charged with child sexual abuse previously was investigated.
A newspaper report says Families SA investigated the man a year ago because of alleged improper behaviour with a toddler.
The internal investigation reportedly found no evidence and the man was allowed to continue in his role.
Mr Weatherill said he expected all the information would become clear when a royal commission investigated.
- Fri, 25 Jul 2014 07:52:21 +1000: Wreckage of Air Algerie plane found - Just In
The wreckage of an Air Algerie flight, which was carrying 116 people, has been found in Mali's north and there are no signs of survivors.
- Fri, 25 Jul 2014 07:41:58 +1000: Victorian ALP denies involvement in theft of dictaphone - Just In
The Victorian ALP denies involvement in the theft or distribution of the contents of an Age reporter's dictaphone containing an interview with former premier Ted Baillieu.
*EST – Eastern Standard Time
EST is used all year in Queensland, and during Winter in ACT, NSW, Tas. and Vic.