The Latest ABC News (Timestamp = EST*)
- Sat, 04 Jul 2015 00:43:32 +1000: Tsipras demands debt write-off, 'grace period' for repayments - Just In
Greek prime minister Alexis Tsipras calls on creditors to accept "a 30 per cent haircut" on the country's debt and a 20-year "grace period" on repaying the rest.
- Sat, 04 Jul 2015 00:23:22 +1000: Dutchman jailed for storming TV studio with fake gun - Just In
A Dutchman who stormed national television studios armed with a fake gun and demanded airtime early this year is jailed despite admitting there was no plot to attack.
- Fri, 03 Jul 2015 23:49:57 +1000: Death toll from capsized Philippine ferry rises to 45 - Just In
Anguished families have wept over the bodies of dead relatives as the search for survivors from the Philippines' latest ferry disaster has ended with 45 confirmed deaths, officials say.
- Fri, 03 Jul 2015 23:38:11 +1000: Uber suspends controversial UberPOP service in France - Just In
Uber says it will suspend its controversial low-cost UberPOP service in France, after it was banned six months ago and following strikes by unhappy taxi drivers.
- Fri, 03 Jul 2015 22:41:01 +1000: Hawks edge Pies by 10 points, players honour Walsh - Just In
Hawthorn has edged Collingwood by ten points at the MCG in a match defined by touching tributes to Adelaide coach Phil Walsh.
- Fri, 03 Jul 2015 21:58:04 +1000: Video emerges of Gold Coast man who died fighting IS in Syria - Just In
A Gold Coast man who died while fighting against Islamic State militants in Syria explains in a video why he picked up arms. In the video, Reece Harding also tells his family his loves them.
- Fri, 03 Jul 2015 21:27:10 +1000: Oil tanker crew refuse to leave port when told they will lose jobs - Just In
The Australian crew of an oil tanker is refusing to leave Devonport in Tasmania after being told they are to be replaced when they reach Singapore.
- Fri, 03 Jul 2015 20:57:07 +1000: Specialty timber workers want access to Tasmania's World Heritage wilderness - Just In
Specialty timber workers want access to about 9,000 hectares of Tasmania's 1.6 million hectare World Heritage wilderness.
- Fri, 03 Jul 2015 20:44:32 +1000: Swim-with-whales tours taking off in Queensland - Just In
Tours that allow people to swim with whales are being offered in Queensland for a second year, despite guidelines still being developed for the burgeoning industry.
- Fri, 03 Jul 2015 20:39:13 +1000: France refuses asylum request by Julian Assange - Just In
France rejects a request for asylum by Wikileaks founder Julian Assange after the Australian revealed the existence of a secret child in his bid for French protection.
- Fri, 03 Jul 2015 20:09:23 +1000: Heritage-listed Randwick Stables could be lost to Perth Freight Link - Just In
There are fears heritage-listed buildings near Fremantle could be lost if the WA Government pursues an alternative route for the Perth Freight Link highway.
- Fri, 03 Jul 2015 20:03:58 +1000: Allegations fly over ACT CFMEU ahead of royal commission - Just In
About 40 protesters march on the Dickson offices of the ACT branch of the CFMEU, alleging the construction union is bullying smaller contractors out of business.
- Fri, 03 Jul 2015 19:41:50 +1000: EPA not ruling out legal action over Lithgow coal mine pollution - Just In
Mining company Centennial Coal could face legal action after admitting the collapse of a wall at its Clarence Coal Mine in the Blue Mountains, west of Sydney, resulted in the contamination of a river.
- Fri, 03 Jul 2015 19:36:03 +1000: No silver bullet to fix Australia's ice scourge: drug taskforce - Just In
There is no "silver bullet" to get rid of the drug ice, warns the head of Prime Minister Tony Abbott's National Ice Taskforce, former Victorian police chief commissioner Ken Lay.
- Fri, 03 Jul 2015 19:29:59 +1000: Magnitude-6.4 quake in rural China kills three, damages thousands of homes - Just In
A strong earthquake hits China's far western Xinjiang region, killing at least three people, injuring dozens and destroying or damaging thousands of homes, the government and state media say.
- Fri, 03 Jul 2015 19:15:44 +1000: Panic on China's share market as stocks lose $3.7 trillion - Just In
Panic sets in on China's share markets as traders call in investors' margins loans after the main index plunged by 30 per cent since its peak in the middle of June.
- Fri, 03 Jul 2015 18:55:01 +1000: Salmon business boosts job numbers in north-west Tasmania - Just In
A $12 million upgrade to a salmon business near Devonport gives Tasmania's north west a much-needed boost in job numbers.
- Fri, 03 Jul 2015 18:53:51 +1000: Generous strangers help family recovering from deadly house fire - Just In
The generosity of friends and strangers is helping a Brisbane family to slowly pick up the pieces after a deadly house fire.
- Fri, 03 Jul 2015 18:34:17 +1000: Prince Charles and wife Camilla to tour Australia in November - Just In
Prince Charles, the next in line to the throne, and his wife Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall, will visit Australia in November this year.
- Fri, 03 Jul 2015 18:29:52 +1000: How a referendum could recognise Indigenous people in the constitution - Just In
A referendum to recognise Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in Australia's constitution will be discussed at an unprecedented summit next week, but there are several options for such a proposal and the nation's political and Indigenous leaders will need to find common ground to move forward.
- Fri, 03 Jul 2015 18:18:11 +1000: Dangerous sex offenders front court over alleged order breaches - Just In
Two dangerous sex offenders have appeared in separate Perth courts accused of breaching the strict terms of their release from custody.
- Fri, 03 Jul 2015 18:11:33 +1000: Inquiry needed into Cambridge infill plans: REIWA chief - Just In
An inquiry is needed into the Town of Cambridge's decision to back increased housing density, the president of the Real Estate Institute of WA says.
- Fri, 03 Jul 2015 18:01:55 +1000: Housing project to combat homelessness launched in Canberra - Just In
A housing project to help Canberra's most vulnerable residents, called Common Ground, is officially launched.
- Fri, 03 Jul 2015 18:00:49 +1000: Diver captures 'incredible' footage of great white sharks feasting on whale carcass - Just In
A diver records "incredible" footage of a group sharks, including great whites, feeding off the carcass of a dead sperm whale in waters off Coffs Harbour.
- Fri, 03 Jul 2015 17:59:49 +1000: Suspected Boko Haram militants kill nearly 150 in attacks in Nigeria - Just In
Suspected Boko Haram militants have killed nearly 150 people in north-eastern Nigerian villages, mowing down men and children while they prayed in mosques and shooting women preparing food at home, witnesses say.
*EST – Eastern Standard Time
EST is used all year in Queensland, and during Winter in ACT, NSW, Tas. and Vic.