The Latest ABC News (Timestamp = EST*)
- Fri, 24 Oct 2014 19:16:26 +1000: Euthanasia advocate dies after appeal for lethal drug - Just In
A voluntary euthanasia advocate who used online video to appeal for a lethal drug has died in Darwin, triggering a police investigation.
- Fri, 24 Oct 2014 19:13:18 +1000: Toll boss to call Daniel Andrews about East West Link - Just In
The Victorian Labor Party's pledge to scrap the East West Link if it wins the November election has been branded "frustrating" and costly by the head of Toll, Australia's largest freight company.
- Fri, 24 Oct 2014 19:05:02 +1000: Qld considers protecting genes from discrimination - Just In
Queensland could become the first state to protect people from future discrimination if they get a genetic test.
- Fri, 24 Oct 2014 18:56:09 +1000: Bush stone-curlew reintroduced in ACT woodlands - Just In
The bush stone-curlew is being reintroduced to Canberra's woodlands after being considered locally extinct for more than 40 years.
- Fri, 24 Oct 2014 18:45:30 +1000: Hetty Johnston named Queenslander of the Year - Just In
Bravehearts founder and child protection advocate Hetty Johnston is named Queenslander of the Year at a ceremony in Brisbane.
- Fri, 24 Oct 2014 18:43:14 +1000: Police detail trouble keeping Luke Batty's father in jail - Just In
It is harder now to keep people who breached bail in custody than it was a decade ago, an inquest into the death of Victorian schoolboy Luke Batty has heard.
- Fri, 24 Oct 2014 18:34:37 +1000: Warner hits third straight Test century as Australia reduces Pakistan's lead - Just In
David Warner hit a third straight Test ton as Australia reached 4 for 207 on day three of the first Test against Pakistan.
- Fri, 24 Oct 2014 18:29:50 +1000: Market finishes higher on mining stocks, Qantas profit statement - Just In
The share market finished higher on Friday, after a recovery in mining stocks helped drive gains late in the day.
- Fri, 24 Oct 2014 18:29:50 +1000: French journalists handed short jail terms in Papua - Just In
Two French journalists detained in Indonesia's Papua province for reporting while on tourist visas have been sentenced to two and half months in jail, their lawyer says.
- Fri, 24 Oct 2014 18:16:09 +1000: Muir's second chief of staff quits after two months - Just In
The chief of staff to Motoring Enthusiast Party senator Ricky Muir has quit, just two months after taking up the role.
- Fri, 24 Oct 2014 18:14:40 +1000: Troy Buswell won't 'misuse' former position: Barnett - Just In
WA Premier Colin Barnett has defended former transport minister Troy Buswell's decision to accept a job with a company responsible for building some of the state's major roads.
- Fri, 24 Oct 2014 18:06:12 +1000: Ebola 'scary' for paramedics lacking proper training - Just In
Australian paramedics say they are unprepared to deal with Ebola cases on home soil and have demanded urgent training.
- Fri, 24 Oct 2014 18:01:03 +1000: Observers say China has sights set on manned Moon mission - Just In
China has launched a robotic probe into space on a mission to fly around the Moon and back, another crucial step forward in its space program.
- Fri, 24 Oct 2014 17:56:38 +1000: Fallen WWI soldiers recognised in Tasmania 100 years on - Just In
Tasmanian WWI diggers have been recognised as war veterans with the installation of new headstones honouring their service.
- Fri, 24 Oct 2014 17:48:40 +1000: Woman jailed for killing Madeley caravan park manager - Just In
A mentally ill woman has been sentenced to six-and-a-half years' jail for running down and killing the manager of a caravan park in the Perth suburb of Madeley.
- Fri, 24 Oct 2014 17:47:07 +1000: WA Premier says Nationals, ALP 'silly' on council reform - Just In
WA Premier Colin Barnett has accused the National and Labor parties of being "silly" for refusing to support legislation to expand the City of Perth's boundaries.
- Fri, 24 Oct 2014 17:32:57 +1000: Inquest told no systemic failures despite soldier deaths - Just In
A brigadier has testified there were no systemic failures despite the death of three Australian soldiers during an insider attack in Afghanistan, as a coronial inquest ended today in Brisbane.
- Fri, 24 Oct 2014 17:18:36 +1000: Fashion Icons: Masterpieces from Paris come to SA - Just In
Iconic fashion from some of the world's leading designers will be displayed at an exclusive exhibition at the Art Gallery of South Australia.
- Fri, 24 Oct 2014 17:06:09 +1000: More surgeons for Geelong hospital to cut waiting times - Just In
Surgeons from Melbourne's Royal Children's Hospital will perform surgery in Geelong in an arrangement that could cut waiting times and may, if successful, be replicated across other regional centres in Victoria.
- Fri, 24 Oct 2014 17:01:43 +1000: Wanderers want nothing less than ACL title - Just In
Wanderers coach Tony Popovic says his team risks being branded as chokers if it fails to fire in the ACL final.
- Fri, 24 Oct 2014 16:55:19 +1000: Pacific Islands Forum lifts Fiji's suspension - Just In
The Pacific Islands Forum says Fiji's suspension has been officially lifted following the country's return to democracy.
- Fri, 24 Oct 2014 16:38:41 +1000: Britons have worse oral health now than in Roman times: study - Just In
Britons have worse oral health today than they did in Roman times despite the advent of toothbrushes and dentists, a study has found.
- Fri, 24 Oct 2014 16:34:16 +1000: Athletics Australia boss announces resignation - Just In
Athletics Australia (AA) has announced chief executive Dallas O'Brien has resigned from his position.
- Fri, 24 Oct 2014 16:24:50 +1000: Japan beats Singapore to place in 2016 Super Rugby - Just In
Japan has been named as the preferred candidate for Super Rugby's 18th team when the competition expands in 2016.
- Fri, 24 Oct 2014 16:23:46 +1000: MH17 victims Wayne and Theresa Baker farewelled in Darwin - Just In
Theresa Baker was "full of zest" and her husband was a "mad keen" fisherman, a friend said in their eulogy at a funeral in Darwin.
*EST – Eastern Standard Time
EST is used all year in Queensland, and during Winter in ACT, NSW, Tas. and Vic.