The Latest ABC News (Timestamp = EST*)
- Thu, 28 Aug 2014 08:41:24 +1000: Qantas shocks with $2.8b full-year loss - Just In
Qantas has shocked everyone with a record $2.84 billion loss, around three times as bad as expected.
- Thu, 28 Aug 2014 08:40:16 +1000: Revised chaplaincy funding moves labelled 'arrogant and disgraceful' - Just In
Queensland father Ron Williams says he will challenge school chaplaincy funding in the High Court for a third time if attempts to redirect funding for the program through state governments are successful.
- Thu, 28 Aug 2014 08:13:45 +1000: Live: Qantas announces $2.84 billion loss - Just In
Qantas has announced a loss of $2.84 billion for the 2013/14 financial year.
It is much worse than the $800 million loss most analysts were expecting.
The airline is already cutting 5,000 jobs over the next three years to try to rein in costs.
The announcement will be followed by a media conference later this morning.
Follow our live blog for all the results and analysis.
- Thu, 28 Aug 2014 07:52:01 +1000: Mother's emotional plea for journalist's release - Just In
The mother of a US journalist held hostage and threatened with death by Islamic State (IS) militants has made an emotional appeal for his release.
Freelance journalist Steven Sotloff disappeared a year ago while reporting in Syria, but his capture was not widely reported until he appeared in a video released by the militant group showing the execution of fellow journalist James Foley last week.
In the video the insurgents warned Sotloff would be killed next if the US continues strikes against the militants in Iraq.
It comes as the UN said IS militants had committed mass atrocities in Syria and recruited children as fighters in a new report highlighting the deteriorating situation in areas of Syria and Iraq they control.
- Thu, 28 Aug 2014 07:24:28 +1000: X Factor judge Redfoo glassed at Sydney hotel - Just In
X Factor judge Redfoo has been glassed at an eastern Sydney hotel overnight.
- Thu, 28 Aug 2014 07:01:37 +1000: Hewitt well beaten by Berdych in US Open first round - Just In
Lleyton Hewitt has suffered a heavy first-round US Open defeat to sixth seed Tomas Berdych.
- Thu, 28 Aug 2014 07:00:03 +1000: Zambia lifts ban on hunting, big cats remain protected - Just In
Zambia has lifted a 20-month ban on safari hunting because it has lost too much revenue, but lions and leopards will remain protected, the government says.
- Thu, 28 Aug 2014 06:21:32 +1000: Bishop to sign 'joint understanding' with Indonesia - Just In
Foreign Affairs Minister Julie Bishop is due to sign an agreement in Indonesia today that aims to restore full diplomatic relations between the countries.
- Thu, 28 Aug 2014 06:03:08 +1000: United States F-15C fighter jet crashes in Virginia - Just In
A search is ongoing for the pilot of a crashed fighter jet from the United States National Guard in a rural area of Virginia, officials say.
- Thu, 28 Aug 2014 05:44:04 +1000: Labor senator accuses Government of hiding behind terror threat - Just In
The Abbott Government is being accused of using terrorism fears to distract Australians from its contentious budget.
In recent weeks the Coalition has outlined new measures to crack down on extremist threats, including legislative changes to target Australians who travel overseas to fight with terrorist organisations.
Labor senator Sue Lines says the Government seems determined to only talk about terrorism and not its tough budget cuts.
- Thu, 28 Aug 2014 00:09:18 +1000: People rescued from floodwaters on NSW north coast - Just In
People trapped in two vehicles surrounded by floodwaters have been rescued by the State Emergency Service on the New South Wales north coast.
- Thu, 28 Aug 2014 00:09:18 +1000: 'Up to 100' Russian military vehicles cross into Ukraine - Just In
A group of Russian soldiers have crossed the Ukrainian border in armoured infantry carriers and trucks and entered the eastern town of Amvrosiyivka, according to a Ukrainian military spokesman.
- Wed, 27 Aug 2014 23:52:48 +1000: Wanderers march into ACL semi-finals - Just In
Western Sydney Wanderers defied Guangzhou to become the first A-League club since 2008 to reach the ACL semi-finals.
- Wed, 27 Aug 2014 22:35:57 +1000: IMF head under investigation in French corruption inquiry - Just In
International Monetary Fund (IMF) head Christine Lagarde has been placed under formal investigation for negligence as part of a French corruption inquiry.
- Wed, 27 Aug 2014 21:48:03 +1000: ASIC blocked 250,000 websites over IP address confusion - Just In
The corporate regulator has revealed it accidentally blocked access to 250,000 websites because its staff misunderstood a basic feature of internet technology.
- Wed, 27 Aug 2014 21:05:17 +1000: New Qld whale watching rules divides opinion - Just In
Tour operators and whale conservationists are split over a Queensland Government trial that allows people to swim with whales.
- Wed, 27 Aug 2014 20:09:30 +1000: Syrian soldiers taken hostage, executed by IS fighters - Just In
Islamic State (IS) militants have reportedly executed Syrian army soldiers and are holding a group hostage after capturing an air base in north-east Syria.
- Wed, 27 Aug 2014 19:41:30 +1000: Mining slump hits Seven Group profits - Just In
The end of the mining boom has hit the fortunes of the Kerry Stokes controlled Seven Group.
- Wed, 27 Aug 2014 19:37:22 +1000: Man charged with murdering Brisbane mother - Just In
A 38-year-old Gold Coast man has been charged with murdering a mother of four who was found dead in her Brisbane home.
The man, who cannot be identified, has also been charged with rape and attempted rape.
Anthea Mari's body was found in the early hours of Tuesday after police answered reports of a serious assault at her home at Milsom Street in Norman Park.
The accused, who is from Mudgeeraba, was arrested at Gaven on the Gold Coast on Wednesday morning in connection with her death.
- Wed, 27 Aug 2014 19:19:59 +1000: SA Premier to lobby Senators in federal budget fight - Just In
South Australian Premier Jay Weatherill has flown to Canberra to lobby key crossbenchers over federal budget cuts he says target health and education services.
- Wed, 27 Aug 2014 19:02:58 +1000: Man charged after in-flight emergency in NSW - Just In
An elderly passenger has been charged after allegedly trying to take control of a light plane during a flight across regional New South Wales.
- Wed, 27 Aug 2014 18:59:43 +1000: Man, dog plucked from water in ferry rescue - Just In
A man who drove his car off a moving ferry and into a river in Western Australia's South West has been rescued, along with his dog, from his sinking vehicle.
- Wed, 27 Aug 2014 18:51:19 +1000: ATSB campaign over deadly midair power loss - Just In
The Australian Transport Safety Bureau moves to prevent deaths caused by single-engine planes losing power in midair, with an education campaign to counter a lack of pilot training and awareness.
- Wed, 27 Aug 2014 18:24:10 +1000: Chaplaincy program revised after High Court ruling - Just In
The Federal Government has announced changes to its school chaplaincy program to get around a recent adverse High Court decision.
- Wed, 27 Aug 2014 17:52:39 +1000: US journalist arrives home after kidnapping - Just In
An American journalist held for nearly two years by militants linked to Al Qaeda in Syria has returned to the United States, two days after Qatar negotiated his release.
*EST – Eastern Standard Time
EST is used all year in Queensland, and during Winter in ACT, NSW, Tas. and Vic.