The Latest ABC News (Timestamp = EST*)
- Fri, 29 May 2015 20:59:46 +1000: Woman faces court over death of 4yo daughter in car crash - Just In
An southern Tasmanian mother appears in court charged over the death of her four-year-old daughter in a car crash last year.
- Fri, 29 May 2015 20:58:34 +1000: Myanmar's navy seizes boat with 727 migrants, government says - Just In
Myanmar's navy seizes a boat packed with 727 people off the country's southern coast about a week after it found a similar boat it said carried around 200 Bangladeshi migrants.
- Fri, 29 May 2015 20:36:44 +1000: Parents advised to pull students from controversial Islamic College of SA - Just In
Parents at the Islamic College of South Australia are being advised by the state's independent schools union to consider sending their children elsewhere because of ongoing controversy over the school's management and curriculum.
- Fri, 29 May 2015 20:30:55 +1000: UNESCO recommends Great Barrier Reef not be placed on World Heritage 'in danger' list - Just In
United Nations conservation agency UNESCO recommends the Great Barrier Reef not be placed on the World Heritage "in danger" list. It is a significant reprieve for the Queensland and Federal governments, with an adverse listing being potentially disastrous for the tourism industry.
- Fri, 29 May 2015 20:21:38 +1000: Six in 10 children experience post-traumatic stress in Central African Republic: study - Just In
There are fears that extreme sectarian violence in the Central African Republic is traumatising an entire generation of children, with a Save the Children study finding six out of every 10 children in the war-torn country experience post-traumatic stress.
- Fri, 29 May 2015 20:08:15 +1000: Embassies in Canberra to open doors for cultural showcase - Just In
The Windows to the World program will make a comeback this year with dozens of embassies and high commissions in Canberra set to throw open their doors to the public to share their cultures.
- Fri, 29 May 2015 20:02:18 +1000: Nauru's president Baron Waqa defends Facebook ban - Just In
Nauru's president Baron Waqa has launched a fiery defence of his government's decision to ban Facebook, saying social media has the power to stoke instability in the small Pacific nation.
- Fri, 29 May 2015 19:19:03 +1000: Radioactive leak detected at New Delhi airport - Just In
A radioactive material leak is detected at New Delhi's international airport on a shipment of nuclear medicine from Turkey before being plugged by emergency teams, officials say.
- Fri, 29 May 2015 19:16:38 +1000: Joint taskforce seizes 206 kilograms of ice in first three months - Just In
International drug syndicates using the postal system to import ice are being targeted by a new police taskforce in the latest move to combat the use of the drug in Victoria.
- Fri, 29 May 2015 19:11:50 +1000: Banks lead broad-based rally on stock market - Just In
The big banks lead a solid, broad-based rally on the Australian stock market which ends Friday trade 1 per cent higher.
- Fri, 29 May 2015 19:02:33 +1000: Indian heatwave deaths could be prevented, experts say - Just In
Hundreds of deaths caused by an extreme heatwave in India could have been prevented if authorities introduced measures such as cooling spaces to protect citizens from the rising mercury, climate experts say.
- Fri, 29 May 2015 18:56:08 +1000: Toxic chemical detected in groundwater and soil near homes in Adelaide's west - Just In
Further tests will begin on Monday after higher than expected levels of a toxic industrial chemical are detected around homes in Beverley in Adelaide's inner west.
- Fri, 29 May 2015 18:56:08 +1000: Labor doesn't have what it takes to win next election: Burke - Just In
The ALP in Western Australia does not have what it takes to win the 2017 state election, former Labor premier Brian Burke says, adding that nationwide the party is "pretty ordinary at the moment".
- Fri, 29 May 2015 18:46:37 +1000: Sad day for beer's true believers, as Darwin Stubby farewelled - Just In
A devoted gathering of beer drinkers bids farewell to the Darwin Stubby - a huge and, in the Top End at least, iconic bottle that is going out of production - at a wake held in an Alice Springs steakhouse.
- Fri, 29 May 2015 18:43:28 +1000: Unlegislated federal budget measures to cost $102b: PBO analysis - Just In
Blocked government initiatives could deprive the federal budget of more than $102 billion unless deals are done with crossbench senators to pass the legislation, the Parliamentary Budget Office says.
- Fri, 29 May 2015 18:38:00 +1000: Tasmanian postal worker emptied birthday cards of money and scratchies - Just In
A postal worker made a "couple of hundred dollars" stealing valuables contained in birthday, bereavement and Christmas cards, a Tasmanian court hears.
- Fri, 29 May 2015 18:27:23 +1000: English FA would support World Cup boycott if Blatter re-elected FIFA president - Just In
English FA chairman Greg Dyke has said England would support a possible boycott of the 2018 World Cup if Sepp Blatter is re-elected president of FIFA.
- Fri, 29 May 2015 18:25:19 +1000: Man jailed for failing to report Jodi Eaton murder - Just In
A Tasmanian man is jailed for three months for failing to report his suspicions that mother of two Jodi Eaton had been murdered and buried on his property.
- Fri, 29 May 2015 18:18:39 +1000: Geelong's Barwon Health closes laundry, 100 jobs lost - Just In
Regional Victoria's largest health service, Barwon Health will close its in-house laundry, LinenCare, costing nearly 100 jobs, staff are told.
- Fri, 29 May 2015 18:16:25 +1000: Child bride's father should get lengthy sentence to deter others, prosecutor argues - Just In
The sentence due to be handed to the father of a so-called child bride who miscarried after her 'wedding' to a 26-year-old man needs to deter others from similar offending, a NSW prosecutor says.
- Fri, 29 May 2015 18:09:09 +1000: More greyhound live-baiting arrests expected as inquiry report due - Just In
The police taskforce investigating greyhound live baiting in Queensland warns the industry it expects to make many more arrests.
- Fri, 29 May 2015 18:03:36 +1000: Rock fishing safety to be examined at coronial inquiry - Just In
Rock fishing, which has claimed at least 68 lives in the past five years, will be the subject of a coronial inquiry in Sydney next week.
- Fri, 29 May 2015 17:57:43 +1000: Shorten proposes to define marriage as union of 'two people' - Just In
Opposition Leader Bill Shorten's marriage equality bill proposes to replace the words "man and woman" with the term "two people" and recognise same-sex marriages performed overseas.
- Fri, 29 May 2015 17:55:17 +1000: Cannabis bunker with battery-powered lift uncovered in Adelaide raids - Just In
An underground bunker with a battery-operated lift, 234 cannabis plants, two homemade firearms and a sawn-off shotgun are among discoveries made by police during raids in Adelaide.
- Fri, 29 May 2015 17:51:08 +1000: City to the Lake project to get $10m in ACT Budget, as Barr defends pop-up village - Just In
Canberra's City to the Lake project will receive $10 million in next Tuesday's ACT Budget.
*EST – Eastern Standard Time
EST is used all year in Queensland, and during Winter in ACT, NSW, Tas. and Vic.