Ambulance Cover in Australia
The cost of getting an ambulance can be quite substantial, so it is very important to have insurance cover where required.
NSW for example, quote between a minimum of $237 (the basic call out fee) up to a maximum of $4,938.
In Tasmania insurance is not required, for Tasmanian Residents, whilst in Tasmania. However, if they require an ambulance on the mainland, I get the feeling that they may have to pay, unless they take out insurance prior to the event.
Ambulance Insurance details
Prices quoted are 2008/09, unless otherwise stated, so need checking for current rates.
- QLD: No Insurance Needed. From 1 July 2003, all Queensland residents have been automatically covered for the cost of emergency ambulance services anywhere, anytime, across Australia.
- W.A. Country area: St John Ambulance cover is administered by the local St John Sub Centres.
Country Ambulance cover is only available for country residents who live in the following postcode zones: 6041-6044 & 6084, 6207-6208, 6211- 6799.
- W.A Metro area: Costs: Single person:
Yearly with 30% Rebate $ 29.10
Yearly without 30% Rebate $ 41.60
Yearly with 35% Rebate $ 27.00
Yearly with 40% Rebate $ 24.95Family:
Yearly with 30% Rebate $ 58.20
Yearly without 30% Rebate $ 83.20
Yearly with 35% Rebate $ 54.05
Yearly with 40% Rebate $ 49.90
- VIC: Details on the Victoria State Ambulance Insurance scheme are here – www.ambulance.vic.gov.au/…/membership_frames.html
- NSW: Details on the Ambulance cover for NSW & ACT residents – www.ahmg.com.au/…/showpagenum.asp?page=2081
- S.A. Details on the Ambulance cover for South Australian residents – www.saambulance.com.au/
- Tasmania. The Tasmanian Ambulance Service currently provides a free service to Tasmanian residents – www.tasmanianambulancevolunteers.asn.au/2020.htm/
The cost of Ambulance travel in Australia
- Australian Capital Territory:
- New South Wales: www.ambulance.nsw.gov.au/fees
- Northern Territory:
- Queensland: No charges to QLD Residents – Non Residents must pay or have qualifying insurance www.ambulance.qld.gov.au
- South Australia:
- Tasmania: No charges to Tasmanian Residents, in Tasmania.www.dhhs.tas.gov.au
- Victoria: www.health.vic.gov.au/ambulance/fees.htm
- Western Australia: www.ambulance.net.au