Starting School in Tasmania
All children who are at least 5 years of age as at 1 January in any year must be enrolled in a school or be provided with home education until the end of the year in which they turn 16.
Most children in Tasmania will follow this approximate guide:
- 4 Kindergarten (Part time not compulsory, but must be 4 by Jan 1st of the year attending)
- 5 Preparatory (Compulsory for all children aged 5 by Jan 1st of the year attending)
- 6 – 11 Primary school Years 1-6
- 12 – 15 Secondary/High school Years 7-10
- 16 – 17 Senior Secondary school Years 11-12
- Education Tasmania – State Government education website
- Association of Independent Schools of Tasmania – The Association comprises 36 schools from the Independent and Catholic sectors
- Catholic Education Tasmania – Covering 37 diocesan schools within the Catholic tradition
- Christian Schools Tasmania – Christian Schools Tasmania operates five schools.
1 - 84