The Australian Education Curriculum
For many years each Australian state has had its own individual education system and curriculum, and this has created some difficulties with children moving between states.
The one difference that we noticed when moving from NSW to QLD, was that the handwriting style being taught in each state was different, and had to be re-learnt to confirm to the new state rules.
However, things are now changing.
Queensland teachers have the opportunity become familiar with the new P-10 English, Mathematics and Science curriculums by auditing and reviewing current programs.
Queensland schools will plan, teach, assess and report English, Mathematics and Science across the year levels using the Australian Curriculum. Teachers will also have the opportunity to become familiar with the new P-10 History curriculum. Focus on the Queensland curriculum will be maintained for all other learning areas.
Queensland schools will plan, teach, assess and report History across the year levels using the Australian Curriculum. Focus on the Queensland curriculum will be maintained for the remaining learning areas.
NAPLAN is the National Assessment Program for Literacy and Numeracy and these tests are carried out in all Australian schools in the subjects of: Reading, Writing, Language Conventions (Spelling, Grammar and Punctuation) and Numeracy.
The NAPLAN tests are held annually each May, over a 3 day period, and they cover the years 3, 5 ,7 and 9.
Some examples of the exam questions in the NAPLAN 2009 tests :
Year 3 (Source: PDF File with all questions)
- What is the next number in this counting pattern?
- 46, 40, 34, ??
- select from 26, 28, 30, 38
- 6 groups of 5 pens is the same number of pens as 3 groups of ?
- select from 10, 6, 5, 3
Year 5 (Source: PDF File with all questions)
- A group of students paid $4 each to see a show, altogether the group paid $124.
- How many students were in the group?
- select from: 30 31 34 51
- A rectangular paddock has a perimeter of 50 metres. Each long side has a length of 15 metres.
- What is the length of each short side in metres ?
- The dimensions of a large room are double the dimensions of a small room. Both rooms are rectangular prisms. The volume of the small room is 10 cubic metres.
- What is the volume of the large room?
- Select from: 20, 40, 80, 160 cubic metres
- Which one of these has the same value as 12 × 3 ?
- Select from: 10 + 3 + 2 10 × 3 + 2 10 × 3 + 3 10 × 3 + 6
Year 9 (Source: PDF File with all questions)
- Which expression is equivalent to 2 – 3t ?
- Select from: 3 – 2t, 3t – 2, –2 + 3t, –3t + 2
- Two numbers added together equal 1. The two numbers multiplied together equal –30.
- What are the two numbers?
All NAPLAN 2009 questions can be seen at: Naplan 2009 Tests
All NAPLAN 2008 questions can be seen at: Naplan 2008 Tests
As an indication of ages in each year group:
- Year 3 in Queensland will have many children turning 8 years old during the year.