The academic year in most Australian states consists of two Semesters, with two Terms in each Semester.
Each of the four school Terms is approximately ten weeks in duration, with a holiday period at the conclusion of each Term.
Each State determines its own Term Start and Finish dates, but will be similar to these examples:
- Term 1: End of January to Mid April
- Term 2: End of April to End of June
- Term 3: Mid July to Mid September
- Term 4: Beginning of October to Mid December
Exact dates can be found at: www.deewr.gov.au
Tasmania is the exception having only three terms in each year.
- Term 1: Mid February to Early June
- Term 2: Late June to Early September
- Term 3: Late September to Mid December
Schools generally operate from 9am to 3pm weekdays, although there are variances to this with some starting at 8:30, and some finishing at 3:15pm.
State Schools, also called Public schools, are basically free for most residents of Australia, including some temporary residents.