Onshore Temporary Partner Visa, Subclass 820
The temporary Partner visa (subclass 820) is the first stage towards a permanent Partner visa (subclass 801). You must be in Australia when you apply and also when this visa is decided.
You lodge one application form for your temporary (820) and permanent (801) visas and pay one application charge. Your application is processed in two stages, about two years apart.
The temporary Partner visa (subclass 820) allows you to live in Australia if you are married or in a de facto relationship with the sponsor, who must be one of the following:
- Australian citizen
- Australian permanent resident
- Eligible New Zealand citizen.
You cannot be a sponsor if you:
- were sponsored for a Partner or Prospective Spouse visa within the past five years.
- have previously sponsored two people for migration to Australia and they were granted a Partner or Prospective Marriage visa.
- have sponsored another person for migration to Australia within the past five years and they were granted a Partner or Prospective Marriage visa.
You must be IN Australia when you apply for the temporary Partner visa (subclass 820).
Your marriage must be valid under Australian law. Underage, polygamous and same-sex marriages are not legal in Australia.
De facto applicants:
Your de facto relationship must have existed for at least 12 months immediately before you apply for this visa. Same-sex couples can apply for this visa based on their de facto relationship.
Temporary Partner Visa (subclass 820)
- lets you stay in Australia until a decision is made about your permanent Partner visa
- lets you in Australia
- lets you study in Australia, but with no access to government funding
- lets you enrol in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses.
Cost of Temporary Partner Visa Subclass 820 application
The cost of the Subclass 820/801 Prospective Marriage Visa, at March 2017 is A$6,865 for the main applicant. Additional application fees apply for children included in the application, and these are currently $1,720 for each child under 18.
There are other costs, such as the costs of health assessments, police certificates, or any other certificates or tests.
Subclass 820 visa processing times
75 per cent of applications are processed within 18 months of application date.
A further 15 per cent of applications are processed between 18 and 20 months of application date.
About 10 per cent of applications take over 20 months.
(as at April 2017)