Tax when Retiring in Australia

When a Brit retires in Australia, as a resident, and has a UK pension, either State or Private, this will be taxed in Australia. (The same as any other income).

To ensure that this income is NOT taxed in BOTH countries, you must advise the British Tax Authority (HMRC) of the situation.

As at April 2014 the correct form to use is:

Form Australia-Individual 2003 – United Kingdom/Australia Double Taxation Convention (SI 2003 Number 3199)

or for those in neighbouring New Zealand:

Form New Zealand/Individual 

The main HMRC page for this information is:


1 - 174

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.