The Cost to Become an Australian citizen
Being born in Australia as an Australian citizen generally has no cost, other than the birth certificate cost, but for Migrants who wish to apply for Citizenship, and for Australians born outside Australia, there are some costs.
The Australian Citizenship Fees in 2019 are:
$285.00 Australian citizenship – General eligibility
$ NIL for Child under 16 years applying on the same form as a parent
$230.00 Australian citizenship by descent
$ 95.00 for Second and subsequent siblings applying at the same time
These fees include the Citizenship Test.
Criteria for General Eligibility
- are aged 18 years or over and under 60
- are a migrant who is a permanent resident
- satisfy the residence requirement
- are likely to reside, or to continue to reside, in Australia or to maintain a close and continuing association with Australia, and
- are of good character
Permanent residents residency requirement:
- have been living in Australia on a valid Australian visa for 4 years immediately before applying which must include the last 12 months as a permanent resident, and
- not have been absent from Australia for more than one year in the past 4 years, including no more than 90 days in the year before applying.
Australian citizenship by descent
- you must have been born outside Australia
- at least one of your parents must have been an Australian citizen when you were born.
Australian Birth Certificate cost in January 2019:
1 - 701