163 Visa – Sponsored Business Owner

Subclass 163 Visa
State/Territory Sponsored Business Owner (Provisional)

This visa is for people who have a successful business career overseas, and

  • intend to own a business in Australia
  • are less than 55 years old.

With this visa you can:

  • establish a new or existing business in Australia
  • travel in and out of Australia any number of times as long as the visa is valid
  • have your family accompany you to Australia. They will have access to work and study rights
  • establish a pathway to permanent residence.

This visa is a temporary visa, and the first step towards being granted a permanent Business Skills visa.

After two (2) years you may be eligible to apply for one of the following visas:

  • Business Owner (residence)
  • State/Territory Sponsored Business Owner (residence)
School Fees for 163 Visa Holder

Although the 163 visa is classed as a temporary visa, it must be noted that it is a Temporary “Resident” Visa, and not a Temporary “Visitor” Visa.

Most States allow the children of Temporary “Resident” Visa holders to access Government School facilities under the same conditions as Citizens and Residents.

I have not confirmed every State yet, but I feel that the ACT and New South Wales may treat the 163 the same as a 457, and charge Full Education fees to children under this Visa.

Australian Capital Territory – Word Doc Source

The ACT Department of Education requires all students, who are not Australian citizens or permanent residents, to pay international student tuition fees for their education, unless a fee exemption is granted.
Subclass 163 visa holders seeking the fee exemption must first apply, in writing, to the ACT Business Migration Program.
You must demonstrate that you have been actively conducting business in the ACT for at least six months, that your business activity is of economic benefit to Canberra and that you have a genuine commitment to living in Canberra.

Queensland –

Visa Sub Class 163 State/Territory Sponsored Business Owner
It can be confirmed by a phone call to the Queensland Education Department, that Queensland treats the 163 Visa holders in the same way as permanent residents.

Western Australia – PDF Source

Visa Sub Class : 163
Visa Sub Class Title : State/Territory Sponsored Business Owner
Entitlement to enrolment at local public school : YES
Access to Intensive English Centre : YES
Access to ESL Support in mainstream : YES
Contributions, Charges or Fees Payable : Local Fees Only


If you are from a country with reciprocal health care arrangements with Australia, (United Kingdom, Sweden, Finland, Norway or the Netherlands) Medicare assistance is available for immediately necessary treatment.

Nationals from reciprocal countries must therefore also pay the Medicare Levy on wages earned.

Other FAQ
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Hi there,

I am currently on 163 visa and want to know what kind of work rights do I have. Can I work full time or part time while on 163 visa? I would appreciate if you could respond quickly.


Hello, my parents have subclass163 and so do I. I’m working with them as part time and not studying at tafe/uni. I’m 21yrs old.
As I’m their only one child, when my parents apply for the subclass892, am I allowed to be included?
Or because of I’m 21yrs and not studying currently(working now), am I not include the transition of the subclass892?

I have a 163 visa and has established business for 1 year, i am going to apply 892 visa. However, 892 is going to be abolished on 1-7-2012, do you know whether there is any transitional period or policy of 892 visa, or I have to apply for 188 and then 888 after 1-7-2012

Hi, my father currently holding a Temporary Visa (subclass 163) and as his child, I’m also holding the same type of visa. I just finished Year 12 last year and I’m currently studying in a University..

I was just wondering what my work rights are, as I am thinking of quitting University and working instead.

It was mentioned in the post that the Business Owner can “have your family accompany you to Australia. They will have access to work and study rights.”

My question is, since I’m an immediate family member of a person who is on a Temporary Visa of subclass 163, am I allowed to work full-time and not study in a University?

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x