Car Insurance in Australia

Car Insurance in Australia

The minimum car or bike insurance that you must have in Australia is the COMPULSORY third party cover (CTP). All States and territories within Australia have CTP schemes which are funded through the application of compulsory premiums on all registered motor vehicles.

This may be known by different names in the different Australian States.

In NSW it is normally called a “Green Slip”, in Queensland it is known as CTP, in Tasmania MAIB …

Compulsory Third Party

Compulsory Third Party (CTP) is a compulsory insurance to cover Injury to Third Parties, that must be taken out when registering a motor vehicle.

It covers the owner or driver of the motor vehicle in the event of an accident against any legal liability or obligation that they may have to anyone that they injure, it only covers personal injury, it DOES NOT cover damage to other property, cars etc

Optional extra covers can be taken out with an insurer of your choice, it can be a different insurer to the above compulsory cover if you wish.

These covers are normally either Comprehensive cover or Third party Property with Fire and Theft.

Cost of CTP Insurance in Australia

The cost of CTP will vary between the different states, and some states allow the Insurers to charge different premiums, but some don’t. It also varies on the different classes of Vehicles. eg: QLD – Class 1 = Cars and station wagons, Class 2 = Motorised homes. etc.

In Queensland for Oct-Dec 2017 registrations, the Class 1 premium is $352 at all four optional Insurers (CTP Premium Calculator – Motor Accident Insurance Commission).
In December 2011 the Class 1 premium was $307.00
In December 2009 the Class 1 premium was $337.00

Third Party Property Insurance

This covers any damage that you may cause to another persons property, whether another car, a brick wall, etc.

This extra cover, when added to the above CTP, makes the total cover equivalent to the UK Third Party Only cover, and should be the minimum that you consider.

Third Party Property, Fire and Theft Insurance

Third Party Property, Fire and Theft Insurance covers you against accidental damage to other cars or property if you cause an accident.

Your car isn’t covered for any accident damage but it is covered against fire or theft.

This policy does NOT cover Third Party injury to any person, as that is covered by the Compulsory third party cover mentioned above.

Comprehensive Insurance

Comprehensive Insurance is an optional insurance cover that covers damage to your car, and or other vehicles that may be damaged in an accident.

Again, this policy does NOT cover Third Party injury to any person, as that is covered by the Compulsory third party cover mentioned above.

No Claims Discount

Many Insurers will accept your word that you have proof of No Claims Discount from the UK, but in the event of an accident, it is highly likely that they will want to see the proof prior to paying out the claim.

My advice is to send a copy of it to the Insurer, so they have it on file.

There is no discount allowed on the CTP cover in Queensland (Other States to be checked).


Useful Insurer Sites to obtain Compulsory Third Party Insurance Quotations:

Other States normally have a single CTP Provider

  • Victoria – The state owned Transport Accident Commission (TAC) includes compulsory third party (CTP) insurance with the vehicle registration.
  • Tasmania – The State owned Motor Accidents Insurance Board (MAIB) includes compulsory third party (CTP) insurance with the vehicle registration.
  • Western Australia – The Insurance Commission of Western Australia (ICWA) is the government insurer, and the cost of CTP insurance is included in your vehicle registration fee.
  • Northern Territory – The Territory Insurance Office (a division of Allianz Australia) is the compulsory insurer for all NT CTP policies, and the cost is included in the vehicle registration fee.

Useful Insurer Sites to obtain Standard Motor Insurance Quotations:

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

I am emigrating from Ireland to Melbourne Australia soon. I have heard that it is not compulsory to have motor insurance. I find this hard to believe. can anybody clarify this for me. My email is Thank you

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x