Driving in Australia on a Visitor Visa

Driving in Australia on a Tourist Visa

Most States in Australia allow tourists to drive on their own countries driver licence for the duration of their Visitor Visa.

There are however some exceptions, and the time allowed for this may be restricted to only THREE MONTHS

Driving in Northern Territory as a Visitor

Visiting for longer than three (3) months?

The Northern Territory Traffic Act requires that a person who intends to be in the NT for longer than
three (3) months to apply for an NT Drivers Licence or Vehicle Registration. The other option is to
apply for an Instrument of Exemption (under Section 8A of the Motor Vehicles Act) from the
requirement to hold an NT Driver licence, or to transfer a Vehicle Registration to the NT.
Instruments of Exemption are not provided as a matter of course, and are assessed on a case-by-case
basis, on application to the Registrar of Motor Vehicles.


In most Australian states and territories (the exception is the Northern Territory), you are able to drive on a overseas licence as long as it is current. You can only drive vehicles which your overseas licence authorises you to drive and you must drive according to any conditions on your overseas licence.

Select the state or territory you will be driving in to find out what the laws are for driving with an overseas licence.

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x